Using sunscreen or sunblock during the summer time is important for several reasons:
1. Protection from UV radiation: Sunscreens help protect the skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays emitted by the sun. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can lead to sunburn, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer.
2. Prevention of sunburn: Sunblock with a high sun protection factor (SPF) can prevent sunburn by blocking the harmful UVB rays that cause the skin to burn. Sunburn not only causes immediate discomfort but can also lead to long-term damage to the skin.
3. Reduction of skin cancer risk: Regular use of sunscreen can help reduce the risk of developing skin cancer. UV radiation is a major cause of skin cancer, and protecting the skin from the sun's harmful rays significantly lowers this risk.
4. Prevention of premature aging: Exposure to the sun's UV rays can lead to premature aging of the skin, causing wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. Sunscreen helps to shield the skin from these effects, keeping it healthy, youthful, and radiant.
5. Protection against sun-related eye damage: Sunblock is not just for the skin; it is also important to protect your eyes from the sun's UV radiation. Proper use of sunglasses with UV protection can help prevent eye damage, including cataracts and macular degeneration.
6. Enhanced effectiveness of other protective measures: Sunscreen should be used in conjunction with other protective measures, such as seeking shade, wearing protective clothing (e.g., hats, long-sleeved shirts, and pants), and avoiding sun exposure during peak hours (typically between 10 am and 4 pm). By using all these measures together, you maximize your protection against harmful sunrays.
Remember to apply sunscreen generously and reapply it regularly, especially after swimming, sweating, or extended periods of sun exposure. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays and has an SPF of at least 30. By using sunblock during the summer time, you can ensure better protection for your skin and overall health.